Quick Rising Challah Bread
This challah recipe was adapted from Challah in a Hurry.
1 1/2 cups warm water
3/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup sugar
3 eggs, beaten
4 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
1 tsp salt
7 cups bread flour
1/2 cup whole grain or freshly milled flour
For egg wash and topping:
1 egg, beaten
4 tablespoons seeds (optional) – poppy, sesame, sunflower, chia, etc.
- In a medium bowl, blend together the water, oil, sugar, and 3 beaten eggs.
- In a larger bowl, combine the yeast, salt, and flour. Slowly stir in the liquid ingredients and mix until the dough hold together.
- Knead the dough in the bowl or on a floured surface until smooth.
- Split the dough into 2 pieces for two large challot, or into 8 small balls for mini challot! Divide each separated dough into 3 strands and braid for each separated piece.
- Place the braided dough onto greased cookie sheets and brush with the egg wash and seed toppings.
- Let the dough rise in a warm place until doubled in size–at least 30 minutes.
- Bake at 325 degrees F for 20-30 minutes.